"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not a truth." (Marcus Aurelius, Roman leader, philosopher, Stoic)
I disagree with the first part of this statement "everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact." There are some instances where this could be true and some where it could not. People can have an opinion about almost anything. For example, if I said, "this shirt is so ugly" or "these almonds are really good" those are my opinion. Someone else could think differently and therefore it is not a fact. Although when we do hear facts, they are not an opinion. An example of this could be if I heard that the girls soccer team won 5-2. This is clearly a fact because it is an event that took place and it has no other commentary about the event itself.
I do agree with the second part of this statement, "everything we see is a perspective, not a truth." Everyone sees the world differently, what I see could be different from what someone else sees. I believe this has to do with how peoples brains are wired. Different people are going to notice different things depending on how they were raised or the type of environment they live in. What we see may be the truth to us, but you may truly never know what the world looks like from someone else's point of view.
No comments:
Post a Comment